The majority of side effects are mild and temporary. The common side effect we have seen are:
- Swelling around the treatment area. The swelling occurs because your body is responding to Belkyra and destroying the fat cells. More swelling usually means a better result with fat destruction.The swelling usually lasts between 3-5 days.
- Numbness in the treated area. The area under the chin may be slightly numb for a few weeks to a month after the treatment
- Heat & Redness. The treated area may feel warm and red for a few hours after the injections
- Lumpiness in the treated area Some firm lumpiness can be felt which usually resolves within 4-6 weeks
Other common side effects include
- Bruising (increased if any blood thinners have recently been used)
Rarer side effects have been reported including
- Temporary weakness/ asymmetry of the smile due to injury to the marginal mandibular nerve
- Difficulty swallowing.